April 20, 2006
Stanford, Calif. - No. 1 Stanford (23-0) defeated No. 62 Sacramento State (12-8), 7-0, in its final non-conference match of the regular season this afternoon at the Taube Tennis Center. The Cardinal will close wrap up the Pac-10 season on Saturday against sixth-ranked California. With today's win, Stanford extended its home court win streak to 95 and increased its overall win streak to 79-consecutive matches.
The Cardinal swept all three matches in doubles, with Lejla Hodzic and Jessica Nguyen starting the afternoon with an 8-0 victory on court two. Whitney Deason and Joanna Kao secured the doubles point with an 8-2 victory on court three, while the nation's top-ranked duo of Alice Barnes and Anne Yelsey added an 8-5 victory to complete the sweep.
In singles, seventh-ranked Barnes notched the first win, a 6-1, 6-1 victory on court two, but Nguyen and Deason followed quickly, clinching the Stanford victory. Sixth-ranked Theresa Logar picked up her 29th win of the season before Hodzic tacked on a 7-5, 6-1 victory to give the Cardinal a 6-0 lead with only one match left.
On court one, after a first set loss, 17th-ranked Liu was still on court one battling to keep the match going in the second set. Liu posted a 7-5 victory to force a third-set, which she won as a tiebreaker, 1-0 (10-8).
Barnes, Kao, Liu and fellow senior Jessica Leck will be recognized before the Cal match on Saturday. The senior ceremony is set to begin at 11:40 a.m., with the Pac-10 finale slated to start at noon.
No. 1 Stanford 7, No. 62 Sacramento State 0
1. #1 Alice Barnes/Anne Yelsey (Stanford) def. Margarita Karnaukhova/Anastassia Lyssenko (Sac. St.), 8-5
2. Lejla Hodzic/Jessica Nguyen (Stanford) def. Joyce Martinez/Luba Schifris (Sac. St.), 8-0
3. Whitney Deason/Joanna Kao (Stanford) def. Cecilia Helland/Svetlana Pimenova (Sac. St.), 8-2
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1
1. #17 Amber Liu (Stanford) def. Margarita Karnaukhova (Sac. St.) 3-6, 7-5, 1-0 (10-8)
2. #7 Alice Barnes (Stanford) def. Luba Schifris (Sac. St.), 6-1, 6-1
3. #6 Theresa Logar (Stanford) def. Joyce Martinez (Sac. St.), 6-2, 6-3
4. #48 Whitney Deason (Stanford) def. Karina Jarlkaganova (Sac. St.), 6-1, 6-0
5. Lejla Hodzic (Stanford) def. Cecilia Helland (Sac. St.), 7-5, 6-1
6. #65 Jessica Nguyen (Stanford) def. Anastassia Lyssenko (Sac. St.), 6-0, 6-0
Order of finish: 2, 6, 4, 3, 5, 1