January 23, 1999
BERKELEY, Calif. - The California women's gymnastics team suffered its first loss of the season Friday night as the seventh-ranked Stanford Cardinal put on an impressive performance to outdistance the Golden Bears, 193.775-188.350, at the Recreational Sports Facility on the Cal campus.
Stanford's combined point total was the its best of the year, as the Cardinal improved to 2-1 on the season, while the loss dropped Cal to 2-1.
Stanford led the meet wire-to wire, taking event championships on all four apparatus. Larissa Fontaine, who took event titles on vault and floor, and Jen Exaltacion, who garnered the top spot on uneven parallel bars and balance beam, led the way for Stanford as six different Cardinal posted top three event finishes.
Stanford made it a clean sweep as Katy Herbert scored 38.500 to take the individual all-around title.
Cal's top finisher was freshman Lindsay Baker. Baker, from nearby Los Altos, Calif., notched a career-best all-around score with a 37.825 to take third in the all-around competition. Leila Khoury, who also finished third in the vault, closed out the evening in fourth place all-around with a final score of 37.500. Also posting Top 3 event finishes for the Golden Bears were Helen Kenny (bars) and Emily Bails (floor).
1. Stanford 193.775 2. California 188.350
1. Katy Herbert (SU) 38.500 2. Jen Exaltacion (SU) 38.425 3. Lindsay Baker (Cal) 37.825
1. Larissa Fontaine (SU) 9.925 2. Jenny Wilson (SU) 9.775 3. Leila Khoury (Cal) 9.700
1. Jennifer Exaltacion (SU) 9.800 2. Kristin Jensen (SU) 9.750 3. Helene Kenny (Cal) 9.725
1. Jen Exaltacion (SU) 9.875 2. Katy Herbert (SU) 9.825 3. Amy Murakami (SU) 9.750
1. Larissa Fontaine (SU) 9.750 2. Tracey Kohl (SU) 9.750 3. Emily Bails (Cal) 9.725