May 19, 2011
2011 NCAA Division I Men's and Women's Tennis Championships
Taube Family Tennis Center - Stanford, Calif.
Thursday, May 19 - 3 p.m. - Taube Stadium
Men's Round of 16
#4 OHIO STATE (33-2) 4
TULSA (21-8) 0
Doubles (Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2)
1) No. 24 Marsland/Watling (TULSA) d. No. 21 Allare/Kobelt (OSU) 8-6
2) No. 81 Buchanan/Uzawa (OSU) d. Arevalo/De Klerk (TULSA) 8-5
3) Novak/Rola (OSU) d. Ive/Jackson (TULSA) 8-3
Singles (Order of Finish: 2, 4, 6)
1) No. 4 Blaz Rola (OSU) vs. No. 27 Marcelo Arevalo (TULSA) aban.
2) No. 10 Chase Buchanan (OSU) d. No. 62 Japie De Klerk (TULSA) 6-1, 6-1
3) No. 107 Ille Van Engelen (OSU) vs. No. 88 Ashley Watling (TULSA) aban.
4) No. 50 Matt Allare (OSU) d. No. 99 Clifford Marsland (TULSA) 6-3, 7-5
5) No. 65 Devin McCarthy (OSU) vs. Grant Ive (TULSA) aban.
6) No. 111 Balazs Novak (OSU) d. Tristan Jackson (TULSA) 6-2, 6-4
Tulsa Head Coach Vince Westbrook
"I am very happy about the season and getting to come here in the sweet 16 for the first time in the history of our program. I've got a bunch of youngsters (six underclassmen) and you can see we made a few rookie mistakes. One in the doubles and one in the singles. Ohio State is very solid and you can see through out the match our highs and lows through the match."
"I think when we win the doubles point, we are a very dangerous team. But Ohio State is very deep, and for us to lose the doubles point, it was going to take everything we had."
Ohio State Head Coach Ty Tucker
"It was a really good doubles point. We thought it would shake out at two doubles and it shook at two and we were fortunate to get through. Shuhei Uzawa, a senior for us, came up with some clutch volleys and Chase Buchanan came up with some big serves and we were able to get that win."
"Every team here knows that doubles is important. It's so big, you only have to win three of the six singles and that's what we are trying to do. Every day we are spending 60 percent of our time on doubles plays and things we can do to make the doubles play a little easier."