March 9, 2006
No.1 Stanford beat No. 20 William & Mary 7-0 at the Taube Tennis Center this afternoon. The win moves the Cardinal's winning streak to 69 and inches them nine games closer to hitting the 100 mark for number of straight match wins on their home court. With the loss, the Tribe falls to 9-3.
Top-ranked duo Alice Barnes and Anne Yelsey bested No. 49 Megan Moulton-Levy and Katarina Zoricic 8-6. The wins by Cardinal pairs Celia Durkin/Amber Liu (8-4) and Leija Hodzic/Jessica Nguyen (8-1) granted Stanford the doubles point.
In singles, the Tribe battled hard and took the Cardinal to three games in over half of their matches. In the end, Stanford finished victorious on almost all accounts, except for the intense game between No. 15 Liu and No. 30 Moulton-Levy. Moulton-Levy won the tie-breaker 10-6.
Stanford will travel to Berkley this Saturday to face the eighth-ranked California. Stanford holds a 53-7 all-time record against the Golden Bears and looks to crush their cross-bay rival that afternoon.
#1 Stanford 6, #20 William & Mary 0
1. Megan Moulton-Levy (WM) def. Amber Liu (S) 6-7,6-4,1-0(10-6)
2. Alice Barnes (S) def. Megan Muth (WM) 6-3,6-2
3. Theresa Logar (S) def. Katarina Zoricic (WM) 4-6,6-2,1-0
4. Anne Yelsey (S) def. Klaudyna Kasztelaniec (WM) 6-4,0-6,9-4
5. Whitney Deason (S) def. Lingda Yang (WM) 6-0,6-2,0-1
6. Celia Durkin (S) def. Barbara Zidek (WM) 7-5,6-0
1. Barnes/Yelsey (S) def. Moulton-Levy/Zoricic (WM) 8-6
2. Dirkin/Liu (S) def. Muth/Yang (WM) 8-4
3. Leija Hodzic/Jessica Nyugen (S) def. Guzman/Zidek (WM) 8-1