May 22, 2011
2011 NCAA Division I Men's and Women's Tennis Championships
Taube Family Tennis Center - Stanford, Calif.
Sunday, May 22 - 4 p.m. - Taube South
#5 BAYLOR 4
#4 NORTH CAROLINA 3
Doubles (Order of Finish: 3, 2)
1) No. 7 Featherston/McHale (UNC) vs. No. 70 Secerbegovic/Filipiak (BAY) aban.
2) Ormond/Stanivuk (BAY) d. Duisic/Lyons (UNC) 8-4
3) Nakic/Novakova (BAY) d. De Bruycker/Suarez-Malaguti (UNC) 8-2
Singles (Order of Finish: 2, 3, 5, 1, 6, 4)
1) No. 13 Zoe De Bruycker (UNC) d. No. 14 Sona Novakova (BAY) 7-6 (8), 6-4
2) No. 49 Nina Secerbegovic (BAY) d. No. 108 Jelana Durisic (UNC) 6-1, 6-2
3) No. 47 Diana Nakic (BAY) d. No. 74 Shinann Featherston (UNC) 6-3, 3-2, ret. (injury)
4) No. 112 Jelena Stanivuk (BAY) d. Lauren McHale (UNC) 5-7, 6-2, 6-2
5) Gina Suarez-Malaguti (UNC) d. Karolina Filipiak (BAY) 7-6 (3), 6-2
6) Tessa Lyons (UNC) d. Taylor Ormond (BAY) 6-1, 6-7 (0), 6-4
North Carolina Head Coach Brian Kalbas
"We kind of had some momentum and then Shinann (Featherston) got hurt. She has been such an amazing force for us and has clinched a lot of big matches for us. So we kind of lost our big fighter out there. (Before) I felt she was going to come back and win... We are proud of our team for coming back and coming down to the last match."
"Credit to Baylor. They played really well and put us on our heels. They played really well, they were well coached. They played aggressive tennis and played to win."
"We lost three of our top four players from last year and we had new players, with new roles, and I'm proud of our team to win ACCS and finish in the quarterfinals."
Baylor Head Coach Joey Scrivano
"We knew it was going to be a very tough match. We have a lot of respect for North Carolina. Even when things were going our way and the momentum was in our corner, I didn't want to get caught up in it because this North Carolina team has won a lot of tough matches.... We knew we could not let up."
"We let that first set (with Jelena) slip away, and we are lucky it didn't cost us... Jeli's match, I felt was the one match that we had to win. She's just a great player, great under pressure and never lost in the tournament. She was pretty tough."