March 4, 2006
After a 4-0 victory yesterday over Arizona State University, Stanford returned to the Taube Family Tennis Stadium this afternoon to battle it out against the University of Arizona. The Cardinal won 7-0 against the Wildcats. This is the fourth straight Pac-10 win for Stanford and the third loss for UA.
The Cardinal grabbed the doubles point with a 3-0 sweep. In singles, the Wildcats won just one set as the Cardinal swept for the 7-0 victory. Senior Amber Liu improved to 10-0 on the year with a two-set win, while Celia Durkin won her 20th match of the season with a 6-0, 6-2 victory at the No. 6 spot. Theresa Logar leads the squad with 21 wins after today's three-set victory. Alice Barnes, Anne Yelsey and Whitney Deason also recorded wins for the Cardinal.
Stanford will return to the Taube Center next Thursday, March 9 when they host William & Mary at 1:30 p.m. The Cardinal will head across the Bay on Saturday for a noon match-up against No. 8 California.
#1 Stanford 7, #48 University of Arizona 0
1. #9 Amber Liu (S) def. Stephanie Balzert (UA) 6-3,6-0
2. #8 Alice Barnes (S) def. Danielle Steinberg (UA) 6-2,6-4
3. #11 Theresa Logar (S) def. Juliette Mavrolean (UA) 5-7,6-4 1-0(ll-9)
4. #14 Anne Yelsey (S) def. Kasia Jakowlew (UA) 6-3,6-2
5. #64 Whitney Deason (S) def. Tina Razloznik (UA) 6-3,6-2
6. #35 Celia Durkin (S) def. Jessie Rochefort (UA) 6-0,6-2
1. Barnes/Yelsey (S) def. Balzert/Mavrolean (UA) 8-2
2. Durkin/Liu (S) def. Jakowlew/Rochefort (UA) 8-0
3. Leija Hodzic/Jessica Nguyen (S) def. Steinberg/Iza Ferreira (UA) 8-1