STANFORD, Calif. – The Stanford sand volleyball team ended the 2014 season with a 3-2 win over San Francisco, Tuesday, at the ACSR Sand Courts in Stanford, Calif. The Cardinal finishes 5-8, while Dons drop to 4-6.
The match came down to sophomores Jordan Burgess and Brittany Howard playing as the No. 2 pair. The Cardinal fought back from an early first-set deficit to defeat Jurja Vlasic and Malina Terrell, 23-21, 21-15.
The Dons took a 1-0 lead in the match as Emily Reed and Inbar Vinarsky defeated junior Morgan Boukather and sophomore Megan McGehee, 21-16, 25-23.
Stanford evened the match as the No. 4 pair of sophomore Inky Ajanaku and junior Kyle Gilbert pulled out a three-set win over Rebecca Kopilovitch and Anja Segota, 21-19, 18-21, 15-9.
The Cardinal took a 2-1 advantage with a 21-12, 21-13 win by sophomore Madi Bugg and freshman Kelsey Humphreys in the No. 3 spot.
USF tied the match up at 2-2 as its No. 1 team of Valentina Zaloznik and Sara Staengle topped junior Lauren Birks and senior Carly Wopat, 21-11, 21-19.
The Cardinal also won an exhibition match as Grace Kennedy and Dana Ritchie posted a 21-12, 21-19 win over Jessica Keenan and Kiara McKibben.
Stanford 3, San Francisco 2
1) Valentina Zaloznik/Sara Staengle (USF) def. Lauren Birks/Carly Wopat (STAN), 21-11, 21-19
2) Jordan Burgess/Brittany Howard (STAN) def. Jurja Vlasic/Malina Terrell (USF), 23-21, 21-15
3) Madi Bugg/Kelsey Humphreys (STAN) def. Katarina Pilepic/Courtney Sabahi (USF), 21-12, 21-13
4) Inky Ajanaku/Kyle Gilbert (STAN) def. Rebecca Kopilovitch/Anja Segota (USF), 21-19, 18-21, 15-9
5) Emily Reed/Inbar Vinarsky (USF) def. Morgan Boukather/Megan McGehee (STAN), 21-16, 25-23
Ex: Grace Kennedy/Dana Ritchie (STAN) def. Jessica Keenan/Kiara McKibben (USF), 21-12, 21-19