STANFORD, Calif.- Daniel Ho provided a fitting end to Senior Day, outlasting Kevin Farin 6-3, 5-7, 6-2 at the No. 2 spot to power No. 43 Stanford past No. 39 Oregon 4-2 on Saturday afternoon at Taube Family Tennis Stadium.
One of three seniors honored in their final weekend home match, Ho snapped an eight-match losing streak and sparked Stanford (12-4, 4-2 Pac-12) to yet another comeback victory.
For the fifth time this year and second match in a row, Stanford lost the doubles point before rallying to win the match. The most recent example came in a 4.5-hour marathon victory over Washington yesterday, when the Cardinal rebounded from deficits of 1-0 and 3-2.
Oregon (15-7, 1-5 Pac-12), which has dropped five of its last six following a 14-1 start, locked up the doubles point for a 1-0 lead. With the Cardinal making a late charge, the Ducks received a timely 8-7 (6) victory at the No. 3 spot to secure the early advantage.
Stanford then took control once singles play began, ripping off three consecutive wins for a 3-1 lead.
John Morrissey easily defeated Robin Cambier 6-3, 6-0 at the top spot of the lineup, with the No. 59 Cambier representing the highest-ranked opponent he has defeated this year.
Anthony Tsodikov notched his team-leading 19th win of the year at the No. 5 spot, putting away Joey Swaysland 6-0, 6-4.
Trey Strobel followed with a 7-5, 6-2 victory on court three, picking up his first victory in two weeks and putting Stanford on the brink of clinching the match.
Oregon received its second point from Daniel Sardu, who bested Nolan Paige 7-5, 6-3 at the No. 4 spot.
With the two remaining matches moving into a third set, Ho ran away from Farin late in the frame to provide the clincher.
Stanford has two matches remaining in the regular season, hosting Saint Mary’s (Tuesday, April 15 at 1:30 p.m.) and visiting California (Saturday, April 19 at 1 p.m.).
- - - - - - - -
No. 43 Stanford 4, No. 39 Oregon 2
1) Cambier/Farin (ORE) d. Ho/Stineman (STAN) 8-4
2) Ball/Morrissey (STAN) vs. Maasland/Swaysland (ORE) 7-7, abandoned
3) Amos/Sardu (ORE) d. Romanowicz/Strobel (STAN) 8-7 (6)
Order of Finish: 1, 3
1) John Morrissey (STAN) d. No. 59 Robin Cambier (ORE) 6-3, 6-0
2) Daniel Ho (STAN) d. Kevin Farin (ORE) 6-3, 5-7, 6-2
3) Trey Strobel (STAN) d. Daan Maasland (ORE) 7-5, 6-2
4) Daniel Sardu (ORE) d. Nolan Paige (STAN) 7-5, 6-3
5) Anthony Tsodikov (STAN) d. Joey Swaysland (ORE) 6-0, 6-4
6) Jayson Amos (ORE) led Robert Stineman (STAN) 4-6, 6-3, 5-2, abandoned
Order of Finish: 1, 5, 3, 4, 2