STANFORD, Calif. – The Stanford sand volleyball team picked up its first win of the season with a 4-1 decision against California, Friday, at the ACSR Sand Courts in Stanford, Calif. The Cardinal is now 1-6 on the season, while the Golden Bears drop to 1-3.
Stanford jumped out to a 2-0 lead over Cal after the first two pairs competed. Playing in the No. 1 spot for the Cardinal, sophomore Brittany Howard and senior Carly Wopat defeated Cal seniors Joan Caloiaro and Adrienne Gehan, 22-20, 21-19. Howard and Wopat rallied from behind in both sets to defeat the Bears.
Stanford returns to the sand on Tuesday, April 8 as it plays host to San Jose State at 3:30 p.m. PT. It marks the first meeting between the Cardinal and Spartans.
Stanford 4, California 1
1) Brittany Howard/Carly Wopat (STAN) def. Joan Caloiaro/Adrienne Gehan (CAL), 22-20, 21-19
2) Lauren Birks/Jordan Burgess (STAN) def. Sarah Cole/Lara Vukasovic (CAL), 21-19, 10-21, 15-12
3) Nikki Gombar/Maddy Kerr (CAL) def. Madi Bugg/Kelsey Humphreys (STAN), 22-20, 21-15
4) Inky Ajanaku/Kyle Gilbert (STAN) def. Sabrina Blackwell/Katarina Milosavljevic (CAL), 21-12, 21-14
5) Morgan Boukather/Megan McGehee (STAN) def. Emily Lunt/Caroline Olson (CAL), 21-18, 21-14
Exh: Grace Kennedy/Dana Ritchie (STAN) def. Katie Curci/Laura Leap (CAL), 21-10, 21-13