PRINCETON, N.J. – The Stanford squash 2013-14 team season came to an end on Sunday with the Cardinal finishing in seventh place in the Howe Cup with a 6-3 win over Dartmouth.
In the consolation playoff match that decided seventh and eighth place at Nationals, Stanford prevailed with four of its top five in the lineup coming away with victories. The Cardinal was ranked No. 7 from start to finish this season as they opened in seventh for the preseason College Squash Association rankings and stayed in the exact same spot throughout the entire year.
After losing two straight matches to start the Howe Cup, Stanford wanted to come out strong in their final showing of the year. They did just that with four victories coming in three sets.
Each of the Cardinal’s top two players swept their matches. Junior Madeleine Gill cruised past Jacqueline Barnes and freshman CC Ho knocked off Melina Turk. Also winning in straight sets were junior Ariel Posner and sophomore Carolyn Gillette.
It was a good day for the Stanford freshmen. Along with Ho’s victory in the No. 2 match, Bailey Bondy edged out Kensy Balch, 12-10, in the fifth set for a victory at No. 4 and Julia Olson also pulled one out in five at the No. 7 position.
Stanford’s two seniors were in the lineup with Serena Fagan playing at No. 3 and Julia Hemmendinger inserted in the No. 10 spot. Hemmendinger finished her senior campaign with a 6-2 record after posting a four-set win over Marian Lurio. Fagan’s match went to a fifth and final set, but she was unable to pull it out, losing 11-4 in the fifth set.
On the season, the Cardinal went 7-8 overall and finished in the top eight for the seventh straight season.
The National Individual Championships will take place Feb. 28 through March 2 in Philadelphia, Pa. Penn will host the tournament. Participants will be announced this week.
No. 7 Stanford 6, No. 8 Dartmouth 3
Howe Cup Consolation Playoff (7th Place Match)
Jadwin Squash Courts – Princeton, N.J.
February 23, 2014
1. Madeleine Gill (Stanford) def. Jacqueline Barnes (Dartmouth) 11-7, 11-9, 11-4
2. CC Ho (Stanford) def. Melina Turk (Dartmouth) 11-6, 11-6, 11-9
3. Nina Scott (Dartmouth) def. Serena Fagan (Stanford) 9-11, 11-9, 9-11, 11-6, 11-4
4. Bailey Bondy (Stanford) def. Katherine Nimmo (Dartmouth) 11-6, 7-11, 11-5, 4-11, 12-10
5. Ariel Posner (Stanford) def. Kensy Balch (Dartmouth) 11-7, 11-3, 11-6
6. Helena Darling (Dartmouth) def. Ally Huchro (Stanford) 11-7, 12-10, 11-6
7. Julia Olson (Stanford) def. Lydie McKenzie (Dartmouth) 7-11, 4-11, 11-8, 11-9, 11-4
8. Victoria Dewey (Dartmouth) def. Sarah Haig (Stanford) 11-9, 11-9, 11-4
9. Carolyn Gillette (Stanford) def. Sarah Caughey (Dartmouth) 11-9, 11-4, 11-7
10. Julia Hemmendinger (Stanford) def. Marian Lurio (Dartmouth) 11-8, 12-10, 8-11, 13-11