* All-America *
Career Bests (thru 2014):
• 5,000 Meters: 13:37.64
• 1,500: 3:44.82
• Mile: 4:00.35
• 3,000: 7:59.11i
• Two Mile: 8:45.61
• Earned All-America honors by placing 20th at the 2014 NCAA Cross Country Championships.
• Redshirted, but competed and excelled in several races while running unattached.
• Won the Brutus Hamilton Invitational mile in 4:00.35, a PR by four seconds.
• Ran 13:37.64, which would have been second only to Chris Derrick among Stanford freshmen if not redshirting.
• The time placed him sixth in the Payton Jordan 'B' race on his fast 5,000.
• It was his first 5,000 race on the track.
• Ran 1,500 PR of 3:44.82 while placing second in the second section of the Stanford Invitational.
• Finished second in the invitational 3,000 (7:59.11) at the UW Invitational while running unattached.
• Won the North American, Central American, and Caribbean junior cross country title and led the U.S. team to victory on Feb. 22, 2014, at Mount Irvine, Tobago.
• Placed 20th at the 2014 NCAA Championships in only his second race of the seaon.
• Helped Stanford to a second-place finish.
• Won the 2-14 U.S. junior national championship while leading Stanford to a 1-2-3 sweep of the 8K race (24:44) at Flatirons Golf Course in Boulder, Colo.
• Ran four meets for Stanford in 2013, finishing fifth overall and No. 1 for team in his debut race, at the Pre-Nationals.
• Ran No. 4 for Stanford at the West Regional (12th place) and NCAA Championship meets.
• Earned 2013 All-West Region honors.
• Won the 2013 New Balance Outdoor Championships with a state record 8:45.61 for two miles in Greensboro, N.C.
• Led wire to wire to win by nearly seven seconds.
• It was the second-fastest two-mile in the country in 2013.
• Won every cross-country race in 2012, except for a runner-up finish in the Foot Locker nationals in San Diego.
• Among his victories was a state-meet record 14:47 over 5K to win the Virginia Group AAA title.
• Repeated as the Virginia 3A champion in the 3,200.
• Followed his 9:05.51 title-winning run in 2012 with 8:58.02 victory in 2013.
• Ran 4:04.47 to set a Penn Relays high school mile record.
• It was the No. 3 mile in the country in 2013.
• Fourth at the 2013 U.S. junior nationals in the 1,500, in 3:49.26.
• Son of Kevin and Vicki McGorty, who both competed in track and field at North Carolina.
• Father was a three-time Atlantic Coast Conference decathlon champ and competed in the 1988 and 1992 Olympic Trials.
• Father coaches the multis, pole vault, and high jump at George Mason University.
• Mother is the former Vicki Verinder.
• Sean has younger brothers Ryan and Brandon.
• Grandfather, Donald McGorty, competed in basketball and track at Manhattan College.
• Uncles Chris and Dennis McGorty were collegiate track athletes at Maryland and North Carolina, respectively.