March 7, 2013
STANFORD, Calif.- No. 49 Stanford registered its third shutout of the year, blanking Furman 7-0 on Thursday afternoon at the Taube Family Tennis Stadium.
Hosting the first of six consecutive home matches, the Cardinal (4-5, 0-0 Pac-12) won for the first time in over a month while the Paladins (2-8, 0-0 Southern) suffered their fourth straight defeat.
Due to the threat of rain, the singles competition was played before doubles.
Stanford quickly took control of the match, piling up four singles victories in which Cardinal players surrendered four games or less over eight combined sets.
John Morrissey's 6-2, 6-1 victory over Andrew Mellow at the top spot of the lineup clinched the match.
Leading 6-0 after a singles sweep, the Cardinal also claimed the doubles point for the fifth time in nine matches.
Stanford returns to action on Sunday, March 10, hosting Boise State at 1 p.m. in the back-half of a doubleheader with the women's team, which welcomes No. 38 Texas at 10 a.m.
- - - - - - - - -
No. 49 Stanford 7, Furman 0
1) No. 45 John Morrissey (STAN) d. Andrew Mellow (FUR) 6-2, 6 -1
2) No. 91 Nolan Paige (STAN) d. Alex Christ (FUR) 6-4, 6-4
3) Maciek Romanowicz (STAN) d. Joel Cook (FUR) 6-2, 6-2
4) Robert Stineman (STAN) d. Jacob Behal (FUR) 6-1, 6-0
5) Daniel Ho (STAN) d. Matt Browne (FUR) 6-4, 7-5
6) Trey Strobel (STAN) d. Robbie Aru (FUR) 6-2, 7-5
Order of Finish: 4, 3, 2, 1, 6, 5
1) Cook/Mellow (FUR) d. Lin/Morrissey (STAN) 8-5
2) Paige/Strobel (STAN) d. Browne/Christ (FUR) 8-5
3) Jamin Ball/Anthony Tsodikov (STAN) d. Behal/Droll (FUR) 8-2
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1