STANFORD, Calif.- No. 4 UCLA surged ahead with three quick singles victories to clinch a 5-2 victory over No. 49 Stanford on Sunday afternoon in the resumption of Saturday's match that was suspended due to rain.
Stanford (7-7, 0-2 Pac-12) and UCLA (15-2, 2-0 Pac-12) entered Sunday's continuation tied at 1-1. The Pac-12 counting match was originally scheduled for Saturday afternoon, but was halted because of rain after only the doubles point and No. 5 singles match had been completed. The match was delayed at 5:33 p.m. and then officially suspended at 7 p.m.
Tied at 1-1, the five remaining singles matches were resumed at the point in which they were stopped on Saturday.
In less than five minutes, UCLA collected a win on court two, where Dennis Novikov required only three points to defeat Nolan Paige 6-4, 6-4.
Over at the No. 3 spot, Adrien Puget put the Bruins in front 3-1 following a 6-2, 6-2 triumph over Maciek Romanowicz.
The clincher came seconds later on court six, where Karue Sell outlasted Trey Strobel 3-6, 6-3, 6-3.
Stanford's only singles point of the match came at the top spot of the lineup, where John Morrissey edged Marcos Giron 6-3, 5-7, 1-0 (8). Playing in front of family and friends, Morrissey notched his best win of the season over Giron, who entered the match ranked No. 14 in the country.
The Cardinal captured the doubles point on Saturday, booking wins at the Nos. 1 and 3 spots to take a 1-0 lead.
Stanford returns to action next Friday, opening a road swing against Washington before visiting Oregon the following day.
- - - - - - - - - -
No. 4 UCLA 5, No. 49 Stanford 2
1) Lin/Morrissey (STAN) d. No. 60 Giron/Novikov (UCLA) 8-4
2) Romanowicz/Stineman (STAN) vs. No. 62 Puget/Sell (UCLA) abandoned
3) Ball/Ho (STAN) d. Brigham/Thompson (UCLA) 8-5
Order of Finish: 3, 1
1) No. 54 John Morrissey (STAN) d. No. 14 Marcos Giron (UCLA) 6-3, 5-7, 1-0 (8)
2) No. 32 Dennis Novikov (UCLA) d. No. 88 Nolan Paige (STAN) 6-4, 6-4
3) No. 19 Adrien Puget (UCLA) d. Maciek Romanowicz (STAN) 6-2, 6-2
4) No. 57 Dennis Mkrtchian (UCLA) d. Robert Stineman (STAN) 1-6, 6-2, 6-4
5) No. 114 Clay Thompson (UCLA) d. Daniel Ho (STAN) 6-1, 6-1
6) Karue Sell (UCLA) d. Trey Strobel (STAN) 3-6, 6-3, 6-3
Order of Finish: 5, 2, 3, 6, 4, 1