April 23, 2013
STANFORD, Calif. - For the third time this season, the Stanford women's sand volleyball team defeated Santa Clara, 3-2, Tuesday, at the ACSR Sand Volleyball Courts in Stanford, Calif. The Cardinal finishes its inaugural season with a 7-1 record.
Stanford fell behind early as Santa Clara's Alyssa Anderson and Haley Cameron defeated Brittany Howard and Carly Wopat, 21-16, 21-15, at the No. 2 spot. Wopat recorded 18 kills, 10 digs and an ace, while Howard added nine digs and two blocks.
Playing at No. 1 together for the first time, Stanford's Jordan Burgess and Rachel Williams tied the match up with a 21-17, 17-21, 15-8 win over Taylor Milton and Dani Rottman. Williams finished with 15 kills, 18 digs and five aces, while Burgess added 11 kills, 20 digs and two aces.
Santa Clara regained the match lead, 2-1, as Lacey Maas and Kim Meyers defeated the Cardinal's No. 5 pair of Morgan Boukather (21-19, 16-21, 17-15). Bai posted 16 kills and 18 digs for Stanford, while Boukather chipped in with 12 kills, 11 digs and four aces.
Stanford's No. 4 pair of Madi Bugg and Mary Ellen Luck tied the match up at 2-2 with a 19-21, 21-18, 15-4 win over Katy Schatzman and Chloe Sliger. Luck registered 20 kills and 25 digs, while Bugg totaled 10 kills, 22 digs and six aces.
Clinching the match for Stanford was the No. 3 team of Kyle Gilbert and Inky Ajanaku. The Cardinal topped Kat Douglas and Sarah Vacarro, 21-19, 21-13. Ajanaku tallied 11 kills, eight digs and nine blocks, while Gilbert finished 14 kills, eight digs and three aces.
Stanford 3, Santa Clara 2
1) Jordan Burgess/Rachel Williams (Stan) def. Taylor Milton/Dani Rottman (SCU), 21-17, 17-21, 15-8
2) Alyssa Anderson/Haley Cameron (SCU) def. Brittany Howard/Carly Wopat (Stan), 21-16, 21-15
3) Inky Ajanaku/Kyle Gilbert (Stan) def. Kat Douglas/Sarah Vacarro (SCU), 21-19, 21-13
4) Madi Bugg/Mary Ellen Luck (Stan) def. Katy Schatzman/Chloe Sliger (SCU), 19-21, 21-18, 15-4
5) Lacey Maas/Kim Meyers (SCU) def. Lydia Bai/Morgan Boukather (Stan), 21-19, 16-21, 17-15
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 5, 4, 3