April 5, 2013
SEATTLE- No. 47 Stanford picked up a much-needed quality win on Friday afternoon, defeating No. 30 Washington 4-3 to open an important conference road swing.
Boosted by a strong performance on the back courts, the Cardinal (8-7, 1-2 Pac-12) collected its first road win in four attempts this year and snapped a two-match losing streak.
Washington (15-7, 2-1 Pac-12) had won six in a row entering Friday's contest.
The Huskies raced out to a 3-1 lead before the Cardinal rallied with three victories at the bottom half of the lineup.
Stanford claimed the doubles point to grab a 1-0 lead in the back-and-forth contest. The deciding doubles match came down to the No. 2 spot, where Maciek Romanowicz and Robert Stineman clipped Emmett Egger and Jeff Hawke 8-6.
Washington responded with three consecutive wins at the top half of the lineup. The Huskies extended their lead to 3-1 following Max Manthou's 7-5, 6-1 victory over Romanowicz on court three.
Trey Strobel's 7-5, 6-3 triumph over Nicholas Kamisar at the No. 6 spot accounted for the Cardinal's second point.
Washington owned a 3-2 lead at that point, but Stanford was in control of the two remaining matches.
Stineman closed out a hard-fought 6-4, 7-6 (5) victory over Egger at the No. 4 position, evening the contest at 3-3.
Daniel Ho then hung on to provide the clincher, outlasting Viktor Farkas 6-2, 4-6, 6-3 at the No. 5 spot.
Stanford wraps up the trip on Saturday, visiting No. 44 Oregon at 12:30 p.m.
- - - - - - - - - -
No. 47 Stanford 4, No. 30 Washington 3
1) Bots/McMorrow (WASH) d. Denis Lin/Morrissey (STAN) 8-3
2) Romanowicz/Stineman (STAN) d. Egger/Jeff Hawke (WASH) 8-6
3) Paige/Strobel (STAN) d. Hudson Barnhart/Manthou (WASH) 8-3
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2
1) No. 21 Kyle McMorrow (WASH) d. No. 54 John Morrissey (STAN) 6-4, 6-4
2) Marton Bots (WASH) d. No. 88 Nolan Paige (STAN) 7-5, 6-2
3) Max Manthou (WASH) d. Maciek Romanowicz (STAN) 7-5, 6-1
4) Robert Stineman (STAN) d. Emmett Egger (WASH) 6-4, 7-6 (5)
5) Daniel Ho (STAN) d. Viktor Farkas (WASH) 6-2, 4-6, 6-3
6) Trey Strobel (STAN) d. Nicholas Kamisar (WASH) 7-5, 6-3
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3, 6, 4, 5